• The HR Specialist - Print Newsletter
  • HR Specialist: Employment Law
  • The HR LAW Weekly
  • The HR Weekly
  • California Employment Law
  • Minnesota Employment Law
  • New York Employment Law
  • Pennsylvania Employment Law
  • Texas Employment Law

State document requirements for employing teens


State law controls the age at which teens must obtain age certificates, working papers or parental consent letters and how long you must retain those documents.

To help you get a handle on this crucial paperwork requirement, the chart below summarizes these laws. States that don’t have any requirements for working papers aren’t listed.

To get the full story on child labor laws, contact your state labor department.